Visa Info

First, our little disclaimer – We are not experts in USA or Thailand immigration. Just interested parties that have done a lot of research and spent a lot of time (way to much) at the Thai Embassy in Los Angeles. We thought our finding would be helpful to others.  While most of the information on these pages will pertain to all nationalities, we are focusing only on Americans traveling to Thailand. (sorry everyone else!)

Entering Thailand is actually very easy. These pages cover some of the important details you should know if your planning on visiting or living in Thailand. Much of our info is excerpted from several different websites and official documents.

If you are planning a trip to Thailand (or a move) it would be a good idea for you to check the latest info at the US Department of State.

Their Thailand Specific page can be found by clicking HERE

They also keep a frequently updated page of travel alerts – see it HERE

(Only a country that has an active warning will be listed, so if you don’t see Thailand – no alert is active)

Its also not a bad idea to join the State Departments “Smart Traveler Enrollment Program” or STEP.  You will have to supply some personal info but It can literally be a life saving measure in the case of a natural disaster or unrest. Join the STEP program by clicking the image below.

If you enter Thailand by air without a visa you are allowed to stay for 30 days per visit, but your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond the date of your entry into Thailand and you may be asked to show an outbound/return ticket.

If you enter Thailand by land without a visa, you are allowed to stay in Thailand for 15 days per visit.

In either case,if you have entered Thailand without a visa, you cannot remain in Thailand for more than 90 days during any six-month period, counting from the date of first entry. After 90 days, you must apply for a new visa at a Thai embassy outside of the country.

To date, there are four visa types issued by Thailand. They are:

Maximum stay 30 days
Purpose of visit:
– To transit to the country of destination (Category “TS”)
– To participate in sport activities (Category “S”)
– The person in charge or crew coming to a port, station or area in the Kingdom (Category “C”)

60 day stay and employment is prohibited
Purpose of visit:
– To travel for tourism (pleasure) or medical purposes only (Category “TR”)

Purpose of visit :
– To enter Thailand on diplomatic or official functions.

Maximum stay 90 days, extension of stay may be applied in Thailand
Purpose of visit :
– To conduct business, attend conference, or to work (Category “B”)
– To study (Category “ED”)
– To visit family (Category “O”)
– To conduct scientific research or training (Category “RS”)
– To perform missionary work or other religious activities with the concurrence of the Thai ministries or Government Departments concerned (Category “R”)
– To work as a film-producer, journalist or reporter (Category “M”)
– To perform official duties (Category “F”)
– Other activities (Category “O”)

Where to apply for your visa

There are four Thai diplomatic representative offices in the United States -The Royal Thai Embassy in Washington, DC, and three Consulates throughout the U.S. – one in Chicago, one in New York City, and the other in Los Angeles. There is also the Permanent Mission of Thailand to the United Nations in New York and there are several Honorary Thai Consulates throughout the United States.

If you live in: Alabama – Delaware – Florida – Georgia – Louisiana – Maryland – Mississippi – North Carolina – South Carolina – Tennessee – Texas – Virginia – West Virginia

Apply here:

1024 Wisconsin Ave., N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20007
(202) 944-3699

If you live in: Arkansas – Illinois – Indiana – Iowa – Kansas – Kentucky – Michigan – Minnesota – Missouri – Nebraska – North Dakota – Oklahoma – South Dakota – Wisconsin

Apply here:

700 North Rush Street
Chicago, Illinois 60611
(312) 644-3129


If you live in: Alaska – Arizona – California – Colorado – Hawaii – Idaho – Montana – Nevada – New Mexico – Oregon – Utah – Washington – Wyoming

Apply here:

611 N. Larchmont Blvd.,
Los Angeles, CA 90004
(323) 962-9574


If you live in: Maine – Massachusetts – New Hampshire – New Jersey – New York – Ohio – Pennsylvania – Rhode Island – Vermont – Connecticut

Apply here:

351 East 52nd Street
New York, New York 10022
(212) 754-1770

Comments are closed.