Category OA for Retirement
- Purpose of visit: For persons aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working.
- Non-immigrant visas will not be issued for such purposes as tourism, seeking employment opportunities, looking for a school for teaching or studying purposes, etc.
- The Consulate will consider the application on a case-by-case basis and may ask for additional documents.
- Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 1 year. Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited.
Validity of visa: The validity of visa is three months for a single-entry (permit to stay up to 90 days in Thailand unless extension is granted by Thai Immigration) or one year for a multiple-entry (for each entry permit to stay up to 90 days in Thailand unless extension is granted by Thai Immigration). For example, with a single-entry visa you have three months to enter Thailand from when the visa is issued. For a one-year multiple-entry visa you have up to one year to enter Thailand as often as you require. Each entry on a Non-Immigrant visa is up to 90 days (except for Non-Immigrant O-A visas) unless and extension is granted by Thai Immigration. Not all Non-Immigrant visas can be issued for one-year multiple-entry. For example, the multiple-entry visa cannot be issued for volunteering with an non-governmental organization (NGO) or employment as a teacher of K-12 students.
Period of stay: Travelers with this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 90 days per entry. Extension of stay may be granted by applying for an extension through the Thai Immigration Bureau. For information on extending the permitted stay, please visit their web site at http://www.immigration.go.th/ or download the Thai Immigration Form TM7 for Visa Extension.
Fee: $175 for a Non-Immigrant O-A Long-Stay (Retirement) visa.
- One-year multiple-entry visas cannot be issued for all types of Non-Immigrant visas including Non O (for volunteering) and Non B (for employment).
- Most employment-based Non-Immigrant Visas including teaching will be issued single-entry visas – multiple-entry visas will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
The fee must be paid in the form of MONEY ORDER or CASHIER’S CHECK only payable to “ROYAL THAI CONSULATE GENERAL”. Cash, Credit Card, Personal or company checks are NOT acceptable.
Qualifications of an applicant:
- A foreign national whose age is 50 years or above. (on the date of submitting the application)
- Not being prohibited from entering the Kingdom under the Immigration Act. B.E. 2522 .
- Having the nationality of or the residence in the country where his/ her application is submitted.
- Having no criminal record against the security of Thailand and the country of his/her nationality, or the country of his/her residence.
- Not having prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) (Leprosy, Tuberculosis [T.B], Elephantiasis, Drug addiction, Alcoholism, 3nd step of syphilis)
Required Documents for Application
(*One original and 3 sets of copies. Documentation 5–7 must be notarized.*)
- Four visa application forms |Download|
- Four passport-type photos (Passport-type photo, 2” x 2”, color, front-view, taken within 6 months, and write your name and last name on the back of each photo).
- Four copies of the applicant’s passport (the picture page) – include the actual passport when submitting the application. Passport must be valid for at least 18 more months.
- Four copies of Personal Data Form. |Download|
- Four copies of:
- Applicant’s USA bank statement showing a balance in an amount equivalent to not less than 800,000 Baht (current Thai exchange rate is available from the Bank of Thailand web site)
- Or an income certificate with a monthly salary of not less than 65,000 Baht
- Or a combination of a deposit account plus a monthly income totaling not less than 800,000 Baht a year.
(When submitting the bank statement, a letter from the bank verifying the account and balance is to be presented)
- Four copies of police verification stating the applicant has no criminal record. The verification must not be more than three months old.
- Four copies of the completed medical certificate form |Download| issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535) with the name and address of the doctor. The certificate must be not be older than 3 months.
- The visa fee for Non-Immigrant O-A Long-Stay (Retirement) visa is $175 – payable by cashiers check or money order only made payable to “Royal Thai Consulate General”
Note: If the applicant’s spouse will be accompanying him or her, a copy of the applicant’s valid marriage certificate must be presented as supporting documentation. If the applicant’s spouse is not qualified for the retirement visa (e.g. not age 50+), the spouse will be considered for the Non-Immigrant Visa Type “O” or Temporary Residents.