Category R for Religious
- Purpose of visit: To perform missionary work or other religious activities with the cooperation of the Thai ministries or Government Departments concerned.
- Non-immigrant visas will not be issued for such purposes as tourism, seeking employment opportunities, looking for a school for teaching or studying purposes, etc.
- The Consulate will consider the application on a case-by-case basis and may ask for additional documents.
Validity of visa: The validity of visa is three months for a single-entry (permit to stay up to 90 days in Thailand unless extension is granted by Thai Immigration) or one year for a multiple-entry (for each entry permit to stay up to 90 days in Thailand unless extension is granted by Thai Immigration). For example, with a single-entry visa you have three months to enter Thailand from when the visa is issued. For a one-year multiple-entry visa you have up to one year to enter Thailand as often as you require. Each entry on a Non-Immigrant visa is up to 90 days (except for Non-Immigrant O-A visas) unless and extension is granted by Thai Immigration. Not all Non-Immigrant visas can be issued for one-year multiple-entry. For example, the multiple-entry visa cannot be issued for volunteering with an non-governmental organization (NGO) or employment as a teacher of K-12 students.
Period of stay: Travelers with this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 90 days per entry. Extension of stay may be granted by applying for an extension through the Thai Immigration Bureau. For information on extending the permitted stay, please visit their web site at http://www.immigration.go.th/ or download the Thai Immigration Form TM7 for Visa Extension.
Fee: $65 for a single-entry , $175 for a multiple-entry – Before requesting a multiple-entry visa please contact the Visa Section of your nearest Thai Embassy.
- One-year multiple-entry visas cannot be issued for all types of Non-Immigrant visas including Non O (for volunteering) and Non B (for employment).
- Most employment-based Non-Immigrant Visas including teaching will be issued single-entry visas – multiple-entry visas will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
The fee must be paid in the form of MONEY ORDER or CASHIER’S CHECK only payable to “ROYAL THAI CONSULATE GENERAL”. Cash, Credit Card, Personal or company checks are NOT acceptable.
Required Documents for Application
- Your actual Passport or Travel Document. (Passport or Travel Document must not expire within 6 months and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page).
- 1 copy of Passport or Travel Document (The page(s) shows your photo , name , date and place or birth and the expiration date of passport)
- 1 application form |Download HERE| (completed and signed by the applicant. Parents can sign for a minor).
- 2 photos (Passport photo, 2” x 2”, color, front-view, taken within 6 months, and write your name and last name on the back of each photo).
- 1 copy of U.S. green card or U.S. visa which permits applicant to reside legally in the U.S.
- 1 copy of airline ticket (confirmed onward ticket showing flights into and out of Thailand. Either paper ticket or confirmed e-ticket is acceptable. An Itinerary is NOT accepted. If applying for 2 entries, ticket must show 2 entries into Thailand.
- 1 copy of applicant’s recent bank statement (must show a balance of at least $500 per person, $1,000 per family) If the applicant does not have his/her own bank statement, you will need to submit an Affidavit of Support with the bank statement of the person who owns the account and thus supports the applicant. If using Online Bank Statement, it must show applicant’s name and balance.
- The visa fee. The fee must be paid in the form of MONEY ORDER or CASHIER’S CHECK only payable to “ROYAL THAI CONSULATE GENERAL”. If an applicant wants to have their passport mailed back (rather than returning to pick it up), a self-addressed stamped envelope with sufficient postage (Recommend using USPS $18.30 Express mail or prepaid FedEx) must be included for the return of passport.
Additional Documentation by purpose of visit:
- Along with the documentation required above (Passport, photos, visa applications, copies of passport, airline tickets, etc.) please include:
- An approval letter from the Religious Affairs Department of the Ministry of Education